Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio
"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote a list of the lessons life taught me. It is the most-requested column I've ever written."
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. Save for retirement starting with your first pay cheque.
9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
11. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
12. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
14. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
15. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
16. Whatever doesn't kill you, make you stronger.
17. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
18. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
19. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
20. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
21.. Remember to treat others how want to be treated.
22. The most important sex organ is the brain. Use it wisely..
23. No one is in charge of your happiness but you. Happiness is a choice.
24. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?
25. Forgive everyone, everything. We all make mistakes.
26. What other people think of you is none of your business.
27. Time heals almost everything. Given time.
28. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
29. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
30. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
31. Growing old beats the alternative - dying young.
32. Once trust is broken. It’s hard to get back..
33. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved. And were loved.
34. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
35. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
36. The best is yet to come. But don’t throw away the good you have now..
37. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
38. Yield. Life isn’t all about winning..
39. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
40. Follow your heart. But also your head. And choose what is right.
Its estimated 93% won't forward this. If you are one of the 7% who will, forward this with the title 7%.
I'm in the 7% Remember that I will always share my spoon with you!
Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves.